When it comes to effective and attractive restaurant design, people often tend to cheap out on professional design work and end up using their own time, effort and taste to create the interior designs of their owned restaurants, even if they don’t have much knowledge about it. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn’t.
You might be thinking that you don’t need to invest in a professional restaurant designer for your restaurant’s interior because it’s going to be expensive and sub-par in quality. You may be thinking of going DIY with the restaurant design to save money and get the right ambient feel that you want in your restaurant’s design. But how smart is this decision? Well, that’s what we’re here to tell you.
In this article, we’re going to talk about professional and DIY restaurant design, their comparison in different factors of design as well as the pros and cons of each of the design choices. We’re also going to talk about a few tips and tricks for an amazingly attractive yet subtle restaurant design that you can implement in your own restaurant and make it an overnight success when it comes to the targeted crowd.
What is restaurant design?
Before we delve deeper into which design choice you should opt for, let’s talk a bit about what restaurant design truly is. Well, like the house design, restaurant design is the art of creating an overall aesthetically pleasing and comfortable restaurant environment for the people it is targeted for. The only difference is that in a house, people are going to live and in a restaurant, they’re going to be served.
There are many different factors that are taken into account when restaurants are being designed.
· Wall textures and Colors
· Overall Restaurant Layout
· Theme and colors
· Entrance design
· Sitting space and furniture
All of these factors hold incredible importance when you’re looking to target a specific market of people in your restaurant. The overall ambiance and comfort that your restaurant provides to its customers is what’s going to decide whether it’s going to be a success or a failure. The restaurant design also depends upon an additional factor. The targeted audience. Whether you’re going for a more sophisticated Fine dining restaurant targeting business and formal meetings and lunches or a casual Fast-food Joint to cater to families and youngsters, or a coffee shop for the hipster crowd, the perfect design choice for either would be ten-fold different from each other. That’s why making the right restaurant design decision is incredibly important.
Professional Restaurant Design
When it comes to creating the highest quality interior design for your restaurant, you need the help of a professional who understands the design process depending upon your restaurant’s theme and targeted audience. The utmost perfection in restaurant design can only be achieved with the help of a professional restaurant designer. Most of the fine dining and fast-food restaurants of today are designed by actual professionals because they understand the theme, color needs and floor plans of every restaurant which acts like a magnet towards customers.
They realize what will sell because they understand the basic psychology of the customer’s mind. This is a trait that is completely specific to professional designers only when it comes to restaurant design. Creating the perfect restaurant design requires an analysis of the conceptual design of the restaurant, the physical layout, the serving routes, and timings and everything in between.
Professional restaurant designers read between the lines that we aren’t able to. They see subtle details and morph them according to what the customer would like to increase the overall visual beauty of the restaurant itself.
Pros of Hiring Professional Restaurant Designer
There are many different advantages of hiring professionals in any field actually. The same is the case in restaurant design. Here are some of the amazing benefits of hiring professional restaurant designers for designing your restaurant.
- Conceptual Understanding – If you hire a proper professional restaurant designer, you’re going to have an edge over DIY designing because the professional designer is going to understand the catering needs and the targeted audience of your restaurant. Depending upon the conceptual design of your diner, they are going to make accurate design decisions.
- Subtle Design Details – From the smallest things like the cutlery to a single light placement, every detail is assessed by a professional in order to get the best design result. This is what makes professional restaurant designers a good choice for our design needs.
- Customer-friendly design – Every single change and design decision is based completely on the targeted audience’s liking. A designer knows what a restaurant catering to a younger more casual audience would want and a restaurant meant for fine dining business and corporate meetings and dinners would require and makes apt changes accordingly.
- Accurate Layout Design – From the placement of the restaurant bar to designing the serving route from the kitchen to the customer’s table, the entire layout will be considered by the designer. Thus, making sure efficient and quick service is achieved to reach customer satisfaction.
- Saving Cost of Designing – This is an often misunderstood advantage. Professional designers have their own sources for design materials, wallpapers, furniture, textures, flooring, etc. which they are able to get at better rates than us. This helps in reducing the design costs which we’d have to pay if we did everything ourselves.
- Saving time and effort – Obviously, when you hire a good professional designer, you won’t have to constantly revolve around them while the design process takes place. Instead, you can put your effort and time into the places of the restaurant that need your supervision and not the design itself.
These are just some of the many benefits of hiring a professional designer. All of these services are ultimately going to lead to a successful restaurant opening and possibly even instantaneous popularity.
Cons of Hiring a Professional Restaurant Designer
Although there are many advantages that come with professional restaurant designers, there are some disadvantages as well. Here, we’ve explained those disadvantages to your understanding.
- Unsatisfactory Results – One problem associated with hiring professional designers is that you may not be looking for what you get. You might have had a different design idea in your mind for your audience and the designer thought of something else. This clash of ideas could lead to unsatisfactory results which might make hiring a professional more of a problem than a solution.
- Over-budget designing – Sometimes, the professional restaurant designer might go overboard with expensive materials and design processes that your budget may not suit. In such a case, the financial situation of the restaurant can be affected and result in a bundle of problems even before the launch.
- Low-Quality Materials – Another con of hiring a professional is that you may not trust the designer with the quality of products and materials they might use in the design process. This lack of trust can ultimately lead to unsatisfactory results and further problems for you.
Even though these cons do happen with restaurant owners across the world, it is less likely that they’ll always happen, that’s why in hiring professional restaurant designers the pros outweigh the cons.
DIY Restaurant Design
If you’re a go-getter and believe in doing everything yourself, there’s a high chance you’re going to take this route. DIY restaurant design simply means that you’re going to design the entirety of the restaurant, from lights and sitting to themes, patterns, and flooring, all by yourself without any professional design help.
According to many restaurant owners across the globe, designing a restaurant is incredibly easy for them because they have an idea of who they want to bring into their restaurants, how they can glue their customers to the tables and how they can get the customers to keep ordering from the menu.
This can actually go both ways. If you actually know what you’re doing, DIY restaurant design can work wonders but if you’re just shooting in the dark because of monetary issues, you might want to reconsider your decision of going for DIY restaurant designing.
Pros of DIY Restaurant Design
If done right, DIY restaurant design can lead to many amazing advantages over professional design. Here are some of those advantages so you can get the idea of DIY design.
- Satisfactory Results – This is actually the best of the pros of DIY restaurant design. Because you’re in complete control of the design process, you are always going to be satisfied with the results that you came up with. It is psychological. At the same time, you’d know what your customers would want from your restaurant, so you’d be able to get the results you need, instead of getting generic design from an uninterested professional.
- Implementation of your own design ideas – When it comes to DIY restaurant designing, you’re going to be able to implement the exact design ideas that you have in mind. This is seemingly unachievable when you hire a professional who isn’t able to understand the needs of your customers accurately.
- Financial Benefits – If you know where to find the equipment and design services, you can save a lot of money when it comes to DIY design. Because one, you don’t have to pay a professional designer for their services, and two, you know how to get the best materials for the best prices making DIY restaurant design simply ideal.
- Good Quality Materials – When you take control of the complete process of restaurant design yourself, you have one benefit that you know you won’t cheap out on the quality of lighting, furniture, décor, wallpapers, and flooring materials. In this sense, DIY restaurant design is superior to professional design.
These are some of the benefits of DIY restaurant designing. However, you still need to assess the cons in order to be able to make a proper decision in terms of your restaurants design.
Cons of DIY Restaurant Design
You might get the longer end of the stick when it comes to DIY design, but most people end up failing badly. Here are some of the cons of the DIY restaurant design process.
- Unsatisfactory Results – You might start the design process with a lot of optimism, but there are many different aspects when it comes to restaurant design. You might be good at one thing but have no clue about the other. This could lead to unsatisfactory results which might cause a lot of problems for your restaurant.
- Over-budget costs – Going into DIY restaurant design, you might think you’re saving money but in fact the high prices of materials that you’re going to get would end up being more expensive than hiring a professional in the field who knows what they’re doing and provides satisfactory design results.
- Unable to implement design idea – Obviously, there must have been a really amazing idea in your head that you wanted to implement in your restaurant design. But due to inexperience and inability to implement these ideas, you might end up with an incomplete disaster, which will cost even more to repair.
- Time and Effort Wastage – The time and effort that you’ll be spending in designing the interior could actually be spent in dealing with tasks which you have experience in. Because at the end of the day you might end up with unsatisfactory results which will take further time to resolve.
That is why we think the cons of DIY restaurant design outweigh the pros and ideally restaurant design should not be done if you’re not familiar with the design process.
Which one should you choose?
We would definitely suggest that you choose to hire a professional designer for your restaurant design needs because ultimately you’re going to get a better final result this way when it comes to lighting, entrance, themes, color and overall interior design. However, if there are budget restrictions and you cannot afford to hire a designer, you can take a chance with DIY restaurant design but make sure you learn about it and take the help of someone proficient in the design field in order to get the perfect restaurant design which will boost customer interest and lead to your restaurant’s success.